Judy Smith, the woman who inspired the TV drama Scandal, sets out 11 rules for handling any crisis:
- Trust your gut
- Know the facts
- Don’t assume you know it all
- Remember – the truth always comes out
- Pause – Read the climate
- Patience – know where you want to end up
- Know when to hold and when to fold
- Don’t overreact
- You will know when to walk away
- Things usually get worst before they get better
- Expect the unexpected.
I would add to the list: start as you intend to go on.
In Empire of Deception: From Chicago to Nova Scotia, Dean Jobb quotes Leo Koretz (the Bernie Madoff of the 1920s): “I got deeper in the hole. You understand how it goes; one false step leads to another, until it is impossible to turn back. You must go on or face exposure.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.